Delivered on the occasion of the inauguration of 4th Branch Chairman of the Nigerian Society of Engineers Ota Branch on 15th December 2023 at CUCRID Hall Covenant University, Ota Ogun State Nigeria.
With great depth of gratitude to all member for your support and dedication to the course of this branch, which is a testimony of where we are today against all odds. During my inauguration, I pledge to ensure visibility of the branch, the stability, growth and towering stature of the branch bear the signature of that promise and with collective wisdom and intentional sacrifice of members to build this branch.
As we expect to elect new branch executives during this AGM, I would like to touch on some of our achievements, challenges and some advice in the form of recommendations to our incoming branch executives.
- In August 2021, immediately after you entrusted the branch to our care under my leadership, we organized retreat and induction program for all newly elected executive and distinguished deputy National Chairman of NIMechE then Engr Fumilade Akingbagbohun FNSE FNIMechE facilitated the virtual induction program for the excos which was followed by Physical retreat as pre inauguration retreat facilitated by Engr Akintayo Akintola FNSE, former national excos of NSE and branch chairman of NSE Ikeja branch.
- In September 2021, the branch projected the year planner with technical presentation to be scheduled monthly and introduction member’s birthday celebration in September 21 and to be observed in every meeting.
- In line with our focus to increase the visibility of the branch we scheduled courtesy visit to deputy governor of Ogun State, Her Excellency Engr Mrs Noimot Salako Oyedele FNSE, and Hon. Commissioner for Forestry, Engr Tunji Akinosi FNSE FNIMechE in October 2021.
- The Deputy governor honored our request by inviting us for a visit on 16th November 2021, we visited Her Excellency and Honorable Commissioner and invited them as Distinguished Guest of Honour and Special Guest Speaker respectively, with Public Lecture: Global Strategy, Local scale – A public lecture delivered by Engr. Tunji Akinosi, MNSE, (Commissioner for Forestry, Ogun State) on my inauguration ceremony as the 3rd Branch chairman of NSE Ota, Ogun state.
- Inauguration of NSE Ota spouse forum during the inauguration of 3rd branch chairman and they were highly supportive and contributed towards visit to Lord’s Heritage Orphanage Homes behind GTBank Fowobi Ota present various food items to orphanage homes during our maiden Engineering week. Also the spouse forum integrate the engineering family in the branch and supported spouse having occasion which is one of the purpose of the forum.
- In January 2022, the monthly general meeting with technical presentation titled: The Engineer with Impact: Socially Aware & Responsible Engineer delivered virtually by a South African distinguished Engineer, Nkululeko Thusini, on 11th January 2022. This was followed by investiture of 3rd branch chairman and inauguration of 2022/23 branch executives with a public lecture titled: Global Strategy, Local scale – A public lecture delivered by Engr. Tunji Akinosi, MNSE, (Commissioner for Forestry, Ogun State) on the investiture ceremony of Engr. Adeyemi Adewale, MNSE, as the 3rd Branch chairman of NSE Ota, Ogun state.
- In February 2022, we progress with MGM with technical presentation titled: Professional Engineering Ethics: Legality or Morality delivered by Engr. Babatunde Adegoke MNSE on 8th February 2022. And this has been sustained throughout my tenure.
We have improved branch visibility through engagement in enlightenment programs and proffering solutions to problems that affect our circle of influence through:
- Celebration of World Engineering day in March 2023 with a visit to General Hospital Ota and Iganmode Orphanage Homes and presentation of peculiar gifts items
- Various industrial/courtesy visit and extending our tentacles to Agbara axis with visit to Nestle Nigeria Plc. And also to Nigerian Brewery among other companies. Also we visited Federal Road Safety Corp, TRACE and VIO Ota Commands.
- The roll up banner was produced for the branch with meeting banners to ensure visibility
- We produced reflective jacket for the branch which members paid for to be use in any of our outing for identification and visibility.
- We produced certificate of presentation for our facilitators to appreciate their effort in our technical presentation and workshop.
- We presented plagues of stewardship to all pre- branch inauguration executives of NSE Ota branch who labored to sustain the branch from 2008 till help came for the inauguration in 2015 under the leadership of pioneer chairman of the branch, Engr Dr.Akin Adeoye.
- We presented plagues of stewardship to all past branch executives during the 3rd branch chairman’s inauguration in honouring their labour of love.
- Maiden Engineering Week with major highlight of career talk[The branch incorporated career talk for secondary school which was flag off at Iganmode Grammar school tagged “Engineering: A Career of Choice” in our maiden engineering week meant to stimulate interest of science student in engineering], workshop/ hands on training in various discipline of engineering, Novelty match between Nigerian Bar Association and The Nigerian Society of Engineers Ota branch, Spouse and elders forum health talk on related health issues and concluding with Public lecture and presentation of certificate of service to all past executives of the branch and committees members.
- The branch donated reflective jackets and light indicating baton during the career talk to Iganmode Grammar school for the use of their security assisting the student navigating across the traffic
- The branch donated trophies as part of our impact to the society to the organizer of Olympiad South West School Competition which was hosted by Covenant University Ota Ogun.
- We introduced Engineering week T-shirt which members subscribed to.
- Maiden edition of STEM school competition among secondary schools in Ota with three schools going home with trophies and award plague.
- The second edition of STEM School competition was renamed Engr Tunji Akinosi FNSE FNIMechE, the Member of house of representative, Ado Odo Ota federal constituency and it was a great success with cash donation to exceptional schools with the trophies presentation to the best three schools and cash support to their teachers. All thanks to Engr Akinosi, the house of representative member representing Ado Odo Ota federal constituency, for sponsoring the competition.
- Introduction of career development through hands on training open to even our family members.
- Introduction of birthday celebration with celebrants hosting our monthly meetings and introduction of Webinar Series.
- Aggressive pursuing of getting office space in Bells University which has yielded positive result, thanks to dean of engineering Bells University. Setting up of committee to work on our secretariat and we are expecting paradigm shift in this regards which the incoming executives can build on.
- Introduction of end of the year get together and public lecture which was spiced with induction of new corporate members and award ceremony.
- Enrichment of professionalism by encouraging professional blocks of engineering to work together for the inauguration of various chapter to join NIMechE and APWEN and I am glad to share that we now have protem executives for the Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers (NICE) and the Nigerian Institution of Electrical Electronics Engineers (NIEEE)
- During my tenure we are able to ensure that the branch was not left out in the formation of Ogun State COREN technical committee. We paid the chairman of the proposed COREN technical committee, Engr Odesanya FNSE, who happened to be former chairman of NSE Abeokuta branch a visit after my inauguration and it was at that point he told us of plan to inaugurate the Ogun state ERM and through constant engagement we ensure members of the branch were on the technical team. We have representative in Electrical, Mechanical, Civil and Chemical subcommittee.
- In addition to mentoring and we encouraged engineering students to become student and graduate member, so as to make it easier as young graduates to become registered member of the Nigerian Society of Engineers and subsequently get registered with the Council for Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria.
- We produced maiden newsletter of the branch which was launched by deputy governor of Ogun State, H.E Engr Mrs Noimot Salako Oyedele FNSE, during my inauguration as 3rd branch chairman by and second edition was produced.
- The Maiden branch calendar was produced and launched during the 2022 Annual Dinner/Induction/Public Lecture/Award Ceremony.
- Introduction of welfare donation which is monthly to take care of member’s welfare. We are able to visit three of our elders with gifts and support some members that have burial (three) and one with minor accident. Though we can do better but we need our commitment to welfare fund which is free will donations. The incoming executives should build on this please. On a sad note we lost the branch treasurer, Engr Sunday Samuel Idowu MNSE on his way from COREN Assembly in Abuja while on transit in Akure and the branch gave him last honour as we were at his house for the burial on 13th August 2023 and also paid condolence visit after. We seek for member’s contribution for the educational support of the children and also shared same with NSE deputy President & vice president, national excos south west and branch chairmen and we were able to gather seven hundred and fifty thousand naira [#750000] and it was transferred to the account of the deceased spouse. Also we have notified the NSE President through the Executive Secretary about his death and to help prepare the benevolent fund since he is financially up to date as stated in the NSE MEMART.
- The branch consciously desire to mentor varying stages of educational sub region in order to raise the standard of engineering practices. In line with this objective, the branch visited the Government Science and technical College Ajegunle along Papalantoro-Ilaro Ogun State and presented some technical drawing tools and branch souvenirs to the school principal.
- NSE Ota supported one of our own Engr Tunji Akinosi FNSE FNIMechE, the former commissioner of forestry in Ogun State and who contested for house of representative Ado Odo Ota federal constituency and also the deputy governor, H.E Engr Mrs Noimot Salako Oyedele FNSE in their political aspiration and we were part of advocacy group to project their aspiration.
- We are able to increase the corporate membership of the branch who are financially up to date, in addition to having fellow which is key factor to sustain the recognition of the branch by the national.
- The branch was represented in all council meetings and at the NSE Annual Conference and AGM. Due to encouragement of student membership one of the parent sponsor a student member to NSE conference in Abuja and we inducted more about 400graduate members of both Bells and Covenant University Ota and more than 50 corporate members.
- The branch supported with a token COLMANS in appreciation for the renovation proactively executed by the dean of College of Management Studies our monthly general meeting host.
- Worthy of note is the branch performance at NSE Branch Group Dynamics at 2023 National Annual General Meeting Abuja which is a testimony to the collective effort to improve the branch visibility and saw the branch moving from 47th position in 2022 edition to 21st position in 2023 but not our best if we explore the opportunities that our location offers.
We want to encourage the new executives to always remind all registered members [corporate/fellow] to always ensure that they update their financial status so as to make the drive for memberships achievable, the current trend of searching for proposer by intending corporate members is discouraging and working against drive for more members.
Also the new executive should intensify effort on our branch secretariat. Happy to announce that the VC of Bells, Engr Prof Jeremiah Ojediran FNSE through the Dean of Engineering, Engr Prof Sunday Ojo Fayomi MNSE have approved an office space for the branch in the Mike Adenuga Building of the University and we have produced the portrait of the past chairmen of the branch from 1st to 3rd and expect the new executive to furnish the office.
We couldn’t plan the Engr Prof. R.I. Salawu FNSE FNIEEE, FNAEng Distinguished Engineer Lecture as indicated in the year planner due to lack of resources but let us look at using this to progress the visibility of the branch due to personality of the emeritus professor and his effort for the branch at the inauguration stage.
In the words of Zainab Alkali in her famous book “The Stillborn” she said and I quote, “It is well to dream child, everybody does but like babies dream were conceived not all were born alive some were aborted others were Stillborn” Let me thank God for not counting our dreams among the stillborn. As we built on the foundation laid by past executives, we have equally bequeathed a roadmap and development template which the future structures will be built upon. Special appreciation to our Spouse forum for their continued support and participation in our programs. Let me also appreciate management of Covenant, Bells University and NBRRI for great support in cash and kind during my tenure and hope to get renewed support to grow the branch to limelight. In conclusion, I will like to appreciate all for your support and opportunity offer to me to lead.
Engr. ADEYEMI, Adewale George
Chairman, NSE Ota Branch 2021-2023