ADDRESS BY ENGR. BABAGANA MODU TELA, FNSE, FNIMechE,CHAIRMAN, NSE MAIDUGURI BRANCH AT THE 2022 ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING OF NSE MAIDUGURI BRANCH ON SUNDAY 5TH NOVEMBER 2022 AT INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE CENTRE, MUSA USMAN SECRETARIAT, MAIDUGURI, BORNO STATE
It is my honour and privilege to address you today as Chairman of The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Maiduguri Branch at the end of my tenure. With profound humility, utmost sense of responsibility and respect, I am keeping to my pledge of serving Borno Engineers, the entire Engineering Profession and humanity at large.
NSE Maiduguri Branch came into existence in 1984 and has a current membership running into thousands. The Branch has consistently contributed to the encouragement of the children in taking up sciences and mathematics that will increase the prospects of studying engineering.
To our visionary leaders, mentors and distinguished Fellows/elders who motivated us and are still there for us, I say a big thank you. I salute all of them, alive and late. Their efforts and investment in our Branch and us are truly appreciated and we are saying thank you very much. God bless you all for sowing the seed that has become a huge tree. We have made progress and will continued to break new grounds and extend the boundary of possibilities for the engineering profession in particular and humanity in general. We also acknowledge past Chairmen of the Branch and indeed all members for their commitment and sacrifices for the good of the Branch.
The path ahead is still pregnant with potentials and I feel extremely honoured to stand here with the rare opportunity of moving us to this far in our unstoppable quest for growth and professional fulfilment.
I crave your indulgence to put on record and report to you some of our modest achievements in the last two-years since our election into office. These include following summarized key ones:
1. Attendance of all NSE Council Meetings; and national activities at my humble expense as your Chairman;
2. Sponsorship of Branch members to 2020 NSE Conference & AGM with payments for registration, clearance of members’ annual dues and free accommodation for over 100 members3. Sponsorship of more than 20 students and 15 graduate engineers to the conference with free transportation, accommodation and token allowance;
4. Supported all spouses who attended the conference with a sum of N20,000.00 each;
5. Supported NUESA, UNIMAID Chapter with N100,000.00 in their programme;
6. Welfare package/support for our Branch members on happy and sad occasions with sums ranging from N10,000.00 and above;
7. Attendance of 2021 COREN Assembly: provided free transportation and accommodation;
8. Improved membership drive: Our membership has grown substantially;
9. MoU with NSE Glasgow Branch and University of Glasgow, United Kingdom: This MoU is aimed at free training of our Branch Members on Software. The MoU is being finalized;
10. Repair of damaged NSE Maiduguri Branch Bus which was involved in a sad accident during the last tenure. The bus is now fully functional;
11. Creation of some technical committees to support the Borno State Government such as the one that assessed the BRTV Antenna failure;
12. Technical advice to NGOs;
13. Participation in North-East Economic Summit;
14. Technical input at Borno State Urban Development Board;
15. Collaboration with NEDC (North East Development Commission);
16. Creating of awareness about Engineering by sustaining the “Engineer in Society” programme in BRTV every week throughout the year;
17. Visit to IDP Camps with financial support;
18. Conduct of career guidance programmes in some secondary schools with donation of teaching aids (e.g. FGC Maiduguri, Yerwa practice primary school); and donation of teaching aids to Ali-Askiri Primary School Maiduguri including repairs of their toilets;
19. Progress on NSE Maiduguri Branch Secretariat Building: We have redesigned the building, obtained approval from Borno State Urban Development Board and pursued and gotten a sum of N5million from NSE Headquarters for the project; finally, an approval was gotten from our distinguished Governor to build it.
20. Donation of sets of Water-Pump Accessories for 50 Water-Pumps which were donated to Jere Local Government Area by the NSE Headquarters (through our great President, Engr. Babagana Mohammed, FNSE, FNIMechE);
21. Visit to motherless babies home with donations of food items and sanitary as part of our corporate social responsibility;22. Attendance of activities of various Chapters with support and assistance to some such as – NIAE, NICE, APWEN, NIWE and NIEEE;
23. Attended activities of other Branches: These include Damaturu Branch, Victoria Island Branch (twice) and Giri Branch;
24. As a Branch we represented all the Branches in the North-East and presented a position paper at the NSE MemArt Review which took place in Bauchi;
25. The on-going re-design of NSE Maiduguri Branch website;
26. Donation of a multimedia projector and N50,000.00 to Ramat Polytechnic (on request by the Engineering Students of the Institution for their Department);
27. Conduct of regular technical paper presentations at our Branch meetings;
28. Technical visit to “Damaturu Dry Cargo Airport”;
29.Technical visits to projects within Borno – e.g. the Custom Flyover Project;
30. Attendance of Fellowship conferment ceremonies in solidarity with our members across various divisions such as NIAE, NIEEE, NIMechE, and NICE.
31. Complete renovation of NSE Maiduguri Branch Secretariat.
32. Reviving and sustaining of Engineering in Society Programme and other programmes on Borno Radio Television Corporation (BRTV).
33. Design of NSE Maiduguri website.
34. Introduction and Production of NSE Maiduguri Branch Newsletter Vols. 1, 2, 3 and 4.
35. Facilitation in obtaining Fellowships approvals for 5 female members and about 20 male members in the Branch within our 2years in office.
36. Production of Engineering Needs Assessment Report of the Branch.
37. Career guidance and “Catch Them Young Programme” in some selected Primary and Secondary Schools in Maiduguri.
38. Tree planting in some selected Secondary Schools in Maiduguri towards mitigating desert encroachment.
39. Distribution of teaching materials to Ramat Polytechnic and some Primary and Secondary Schools in Maiduguri.
40. The Branch supported 15 spouses to AGM/CONFERENCE in Abuja.
41. The Branch sponsored 50 Students and 10 graduate members to attend 2021 AGM as well as 20 Students and 6 graduates to 2020 AGM.
42. Development of e-calendar.
43. Facilitation of approval and installation of 10KVA solar power generator to Umaru Shehu Ultra Modern Hospital and 10KVA solar powe r generator to Maiduguri Specialists Hospital by NSE President Engr.Tasiu G. Wudil, FNSE.
44. Technical visit to Phoenix Electric Motor LTD, Maiduguri.
45. Technical visit to Maiduguri Emergency Power Project (MEPP).
46. Visit to Custom Fly-over, State University, Vocational Training Centre Muna, State University Teaching Hospital with the NSE current President, Engr. Tasiu Wudil, FNSE.
47. The Branch has participated in Group Dynamic Competition and submitted welfare reports for 2021/2022.
48.Procurement and Installation of solar power at the Department of
Mechanical Engineering UNIMAID.
49. Hosting of the President, PPS/National Exco for nine times.
50. Attended all the national council meetings.
51. Appointment of coordinators to Ministries and Parastatals in the State.
52. Development of e-library.
53.Financial contributions to NSE National Headquarters.
54.Formalisation of appointment of NSE Administrative Secretary, approval and implementation of N30,000 minimum wage.
55. Training of 30 widows at Mafoni Vocational Training Centre in collaboration with Borno State Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation.
56.Development of Drop box and website.
57. Introduction of hybrid (physical and virtual) meetings.
58.Commendation letter from the NSE National body as one of the 10 Best Accounting Branches in the Federation.
59. Organising of Science Quiz Competition at Federal Government College Maiduguri and donations of teaching materials.
60. Contribution of prizes to a BRTV Special Programme organised to mark 3 years anniversary of the administration of Governor Babagana Umara Zulum mni, FNSE, FNIAE, CON.
61. Technical visit to Faculty of Engineering University of Maiduguri; courtesy call and Award presentation to the Vice Chancellor, Prof. Aliyu Shugaba.
62. Donation of food items and sanitary materials to the Maiduguri Children’s Home.
63. Donation of food and teaching materials to Borno Subeb Special needs (deap and dump) primary and junior secondary school maiduguri
64. Holding of the 3rd “Engr. Mustapha Bulama Memorial Lecture” today.
We thank immensely the lecturer, Engr. Bukar Usman, FNSE (a Past Branch Chairman) whose topic is “The Prospects of Borehole Drilling as a Means of Water SupplyWhat I listed are just some of our modest achievements. There are many more not listed.
I thank His Excellency, Prof. Babagana Umara Zulum, mni, FNSE, FNIAE, CON the Executive Governor of Borno State for everything he has been doing for us. I also thank the Borno State Government and all its parastatals; my amiable elder brother Engr. Prof. Babagana Mohammed, FNSE (a Past NSE Vice President; and a Past Branch Chairman) for everything; all Engineer Commissioners; Engineer Legislators; the Immediate Past President of NSE, Engr. Babagana Mohammed, FNSE; the current President of NSE; all members of our Branch; all Divisions in our Branch; and of course all our Engineer Lecturers – because they are the reason why we are able to stand here today.
Let me put on record and convey my special appreciation to the Executive Committee, Past Chairmen, Fellows, Elders and Members of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Maiduguri Branch for everything they have been doing for us. Right from the formation of our Branch to date our elders have been solidly supporting the Branch and this has opened many doors for us when it seemed impossible to do so. We believe we would continue to benefit from them. To those of them that are late, we pray to Allah to grant them rahama and make Aljannatul Firdaus their final abode. May the NSE Maiduguri Branch continue to wax stronger!
I hereby pledge to continue to uphold and uplift the tenets of the Branch and to promote her programmes even out of office. I would continue to do this by working with all of you as a team and by supporting the in-coming new EXCO insha Allah. Together we can move mountains, build on achievements of our past leaders and continue to take our Branch to enviable heights. It is often said, “where there is a will, there would always be a way”.
In conclusion, I am grateful for the opportunity given to me to serve our great Branch in this wonderful capacity and I am grateful to have followed the good examples of my predecessors with my colleagues in the Executive Committee by bringing on board more energy, creativity and innovation in activities and engagements of NSE Maiduguri Branch throughout our tenure.
For me personally it was a “Happy Beginning and a Great Ending” with all humility and I thank everyone of you for the wonderful support my Executive Committee and I have received from you. May the Almighty Allah bless you abundantly.Long Live NSE Maiduguri Branch.
Long Live NSE.
Long Live Borno State.
Long Live Federal Republic of Nigeria.
ENGR. BABAGANA MODU TELA, FNSE, FNIMechE
CHAIRMAN, NSE MAIDUGURI BRANCH