PROFILE OF ENGR. ABUBAKAR IS’HAQ JUMARE, PhD., MAutoEI, MNSE, MNIMechE, AMSAIMechE
Engr. Dr. Abubakar I. Jumare was born on 4th September, 1973 in Zaria LGA of Kaduna State. He obtained his primary education at L.E.A. Primary School, Anguwan Liman Zaria City from 1979 – 1985 and secondary education at Alhudahuda College, Zaria from 1985 – 1991. He also attended the then Kaduna State Polytechnic (now Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic), Zaria where he obtained a certificate in Science Laboratory Technology (SLT) in 1992.
He then proceeded to Bayero University, Kano where he obtained a B.Eng. (Mechanical) in 1999 and subsequently an M.Eng. (Production) in 2012. He also obtained a PGD in Marketing from Kaduna Polytechnic, Kaduna in 2006 and another PGD in Education from the National Teachers’ Institute (NTI), Kaduna in 2008. In December 2019, he was conferred with a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD.) Mechatronics Engineering degree by the Nelson Mandela University, Port Elizabeth – South Africa.
After the mandatory one year NYSC programme at Iwopin Pulp and Paper Company (IPPC) Limited, Ogun State and Northern Cable Company (NOCACO) Limited, Kaduna from December 1999 to November 2000, Engr. Jumare, as popularly called began his working career at the Kaduna State Ministry of Works and Transport in January 2001 as Mechanical Engineer II. He worked very briefly there and then joined the services of Peugeot Automobile Nigeria (PAN) Limited, Kaduna as Study and Methods officer in March 2001. He was subsequently transferred to Purchase Department as Technical Purchaser in charge of mechanical services and procurement of mechanical/electrical parts/items in August 2004. The post he held till November 2006 when he voluntary resigned. While in PAN, he was part of the team that worked towards production of the last Peugeot 504 car in the world.
His quest and passion for teaching led to transfer of his services from PAN in November 2006 to Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Zaria where he was employed as Lecturer II in the Department of Mechanical Engineering. While at Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, he served as the Departmental Assistant Examination Officer, Examination Officer, Acting Head of Mechanical Engineering Department in 2012, and as substantive Head of Department from 2013 – 2014. He is currently a Principal Lecturer and Director, School of Engineering Technology of the institution.
Dr. Jumare also served in various standing as well as Adhoc Committees and Boards of Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, which include: Examination Ethics Committee, Committee for the election of Academic Directors, Accreditation Committee, NUBA Poly Consult Board, etc. To date, he has 7 local and 4 international conference papers as well as 11 local and 13 international journal publications to his credit. He also attended several seminars, workshops and training programmes nationally and internationally.
While at Nelson Mandela University, he served as a part-time lecturer in the Department of Mechatronics of the university, between 2015 to 2017 where he taught Engineering Drawing, Materials Science, Machine Design I & II. In 2016 and 2018, he was appointed an internal moderator in the same Department where he moderated tests/examinations questions and marking guides.
Membership of professional bodies:
- Member, The Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers (NIMechE) March 2007
- Corporate member, The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE) July 2007
- Corporate member, Materials Society of Nigeria (MSN) November 2007
- Registration by the Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) December 2008
- Automotive and Locomotive Engineers’ Institute (AutoEI) September 2012
- Associate member, South African Institute of Mechanical Engineers (SAIMechE) April 2017.
Services to professional bodies:
- The Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Kaduna Branch:
- Branch’s Assistant General Secretary January – December 2011
- Branch’s General Secretary January 2012 – December 2013
- Member, Local Organizing Committee of the “KADA 2002” NSE National Conference/AGM
- Member, Secretariat Building Committee
- Member/Secretary, Investment Committee
- Member, Industrial Visit and Career Guidance/Motivational Talk Committee
- Member, Science Quiz Committee.
- The Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers – NIMechE (National and Kaduna Chapter):
- Assistant General Secretary, Kaduna Chapter 2003 – 2005
- General Secretary, Kaduna Chapter 2005 – 2007
- Vice Chairman, NIMechE Kaduna Chapter 2012 – 2013
- Chairman, NIMechE Kaduna Chapter 2013 – 2014
- Assistant General Secretary, NIMechE National 2007 – 2011
- Secretary, LOC of NIMechE National Conference/AGM “KADA 2007”.
- Automotive and Locomotive Engineers’ Institute(AutoEI):
- Vice Chairman, Kaduna Chapter of AutoEI 2009 – 2010
- Chairman, Kaduna Chapter of AutoEI 2018 – Date
- National Vice Chairman of AutoEI 2018 – 2020
- National Chairman of AutoEI 2020 – Date.
Dr. Jumare received several awards and commendations in the course of his working and professional career. Among them are: Excellent Performance Award by the Islamic Development Bank, Jeddah – Saudi Arabia (2005); Best staff merit award by Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Zaria (2008); Merit award by NIMechE, Kaduna Chapter (2016), Exemplary Director in Nuhu Bamalli Polytechnic, Zaria (2020) by Taskira Newspaper, etc. He is happily married and blessed with five (5) children: Hafsah, Hauwa’u, AbdulHakeem, AbdurRaheem and Abdul-Aleem.