Job categories: Engineering
Vacancy code: VA/2021/B5316/21648
Department/office: AFR, GHMCO, Nigeria
Duty station: Multiple
Contract type: Local ICA Specialist
Contract level: LICA Specialist-8
Application period: 23-Apr-2021 to 07-May-2021
Applications to vacancies must be received before midnight Copenhagen time (CET) on the closing date of the announcement.
Background Information – Ghana Multi Country Office (GMCO)
UNOPS Ghana Multi Country Office (GMCO), located in Accra, spans across West Africa, covering Ghana, Gambia,Liberia, Nigeria and Sierra Leone.
GMCO is responsible for managing strategic and operational risks associated with a subset of the regional portfolio of engagements, developing and delivering cost effective services contributing to partners’ sustainable results and achievements of UNOPS management results.
Background Information – Country Specific
The Nigeria Duty Stations are managed by the Nigeria Country Office based in Abuja, Nigeria.
Nigeria is considered a key player in the West African region, with an estimated population of 200 million and accounts for about 47% of the total population of West Africa. Nigeria is considered a High Priority Country for UNOPS GMCO; being a fragile country with a complex development profile and possessing a high risk of humanitarian emergencies and disasters. Likewise with high donor interest and demand for implementation support, Nigeria is viewed as a country in which UNOPS can add value and scale-up efforts by its partners to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly the Government of Nigeria.
Background Information – Job Specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS), with funding from the Japanese supplementary fund, is implementing a project in Borno State Nigeria, and expected to deliver the following outputs:
- Two (2) new medical oxygen plant facilities (20mx14m) to be constructed within the site of 2 General Hospitals – State Specialist Hospital, Maiduguri and General Hospital, Biu.
- Sustainability management options paper developed to guide decision making for long term operating the oxygen plants within the two (2) facilities
- Up to Twenty Three (23) Health Centres equipped with Solar Direct Drive vaccine refrigerators to improve vaccination programs and management of epidemic-prone diseases affecting mostly women and children
- The two (2) Construction Management Engineers (1no. based in Maiduguri and 1no. based in Biu), reporting to the Project Manager, are required to supervise the project’s construction stage. They will be responsible for the day- to-day monitoring and reporting of the construction activities that are being undertaken by the Contractors, to ensure a timely and quality completion within budget.
The two (2) Construction Management Engineers will be responsible for the following summary of functions:
● Construction implementation, supervision and site monitoring – he/she shall be responsible for administering the construction works contract (including instrument of agreement, conditions, schedules, drawings, specifications, BoQ and notices), to ensure the full scope of works is delivered within the budget, to specified quality, and that progress is made in line with the works schedule
● Contractor performance monitoring – he/she shall review and monitor the Contractor’s schedules, cash flow, construction methodology, risk assessment and mitigation measures, field work coordination with regards to Contractor’s resource planning, logistics analysis and operations and management of construction crew.
● Provide support in the quality management of architectural and structural, electrical, mechanical, civil engineering aspect of the works including control inspections, data analysis and reporting, improvement identification, testing plans and procedures, approvals and verifications, construction materials inspection, measurement instruments usage, land surveys and surveying equipment operations
● Health, safety, social and environmental planning and management including inspections, hazard/risk identification and controls, implementation of corrective measures, incident reporting and preventive measures
● Provide support related to risk and issue management – proactively assessing risk and implementing mitigation measures/solutions through application of sound engineering knowledge and standards. Reporting and escalating to Project Manager as required
● Stakeholder management – stakeholder identification, engagement and consultation to facilitate support and cooperation during the construction works
● Contribute in technical design and specification development and documentation – review where necessary, design revisions and propose recommendation
● Training and knowledge transfer to Contractors to enhance capacity and efficiency of delivery
● Preparation and collection of data during construction as input for completing/and checking As-built drawings
● Inform and provide constant feedback to UNOPS Project Manager regarding the progress issues, delivery timelines and quality of work completed.
● Act proactively to escalate to Project Manager key areas of concerns that relates to quality, health, safety, social and environmental issues at site and where necessary take the relevant resolutions supported by relevant available tools and templates
● Preparation of progress reports on construction activities and submission of such on a daily, weekly and monthly, quarterly basis as required
● Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing including appropriate archiving of documents in UNOPS ERP system and documenting of lessons learned
● A University degree (or equivalent) in Civil Engineering or related field.
● A Masters degree is an asset but not a requirement.
● A relevant combination of academic credentials and/or industry certifications and qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of university education.
B. Work Experience
● A minimum of 2 years relevant building construction experience is required
● Experience in health sector buildings is highly desirable
● Experience working in Maiduguri and/or Biu is an asset
● Experience in administering FIDIC contract is an asset
● Professional certification in Engineering is highly desirable
C. Competencies and skills
● Ability to manage own workload and to work independently is highly desirable
● Well developed teamwork skills is an asset
● Ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor work plans is an asset
● Sound knowledge and application of AutoCad is an asset
● Fully conversant with use of relevant computer applications and knowledge in Google Suite is highly desirable.
● Knowledge and/or certification in Health and Safety is an asset.
D. Language Requirement
● Full working knowledge of English is required
● Knowledge of another official UNOPS language is an asset
Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.