As part of the effort to deepen the activities of the body and groom the next generation of environmental engineers. the Nigerian Institution of Environmental Engineers under the leadership of Engr Olalekan Ajani has inaugurated the student arm of the institution. The event which took place on 13 February 2021 both online and off-line was also used to inaugurate the new national executive of the student body.
Speaking at the event, Engr Olalekan Ajani explained why the body was a necessity. He said the institution intends to groom young generation of engineers to educate the society on the importance of sustainable environment. The body will also be a platform to address young members welfare and empower them through mentoring, professional development and many other programmes to be initiated.
Further he said that new platform will mobilise more engineering students from all disciplines who would show interest in our environment. “They would work as a team to improve wastewater treatment, plastic waste reduction, water conservation, storm water management, green agriculture and denitrification while ensuring the sustainable development goals are achieved for a better environment. This would obviously enhance Nigeria’s success rate of improving her public health statistic.”
During the event Mr. Nnamdi Azubiuke, a student of Civil Engineering at Yaba College of technology was inaugurated as the National Coordinator of the body. The full list of other national executive members inaugurated are:
- Hon. Nnamdi D. Azubuike, National Coordinator,- Yaba College of Technology Lagos
- Kolade Anuoluwapo, Deputy National Coordinator- University of Ibadan, Oyo State
- Ani Abdulfatah MUSA, Secretary General- University of Maiduguri
- Asaolu Olumide Samuel, National PRO- Lagos State Polytechnic, Ikorodu
- Adamu Abdullahi, National Assistant PRO- Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria
- Jonathan Nnanna, National Financial Secretary- Yaba College of Technology Lagos
- Stephen I. Chucks-Onah, National Director of Research and Development- University of Nigeria, Nsukka
- Animasaun Ayomide Oluwaseyi, University of Ibadan- National Technical Secretary
- Ogbodo Maxwell Chimobi, National Social Secretary- Alex Ekwueme Federal University Ndufu-Alike Ikwo Ebonyi State
- Favour Olaoluwa Olabode, National Membership Secretary-Kwara State University, ilorin,Kwara State
- Emmanuel F. Anigboro, National Welfare Officer- Yaba College of Technology Lagos
- Adamu Abubakar Muhammed, North East Coordinator- University of Maiduguri
- Andrew Chigozie Ogaluzor, South-South Coordinator- River State University of Technology
- Tobechukwu Okejiaku, SouthEast Coordinator- Federal University of Technology,Imo State
- Ajayi Oluwadamilare, South West Coordinator-Yaba College of Technology Lagos
- Dauda M. Olatunji, National Ex-Officio- Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, Ogbomoso
- Michael E. Chimezie, National Ex-Officio- Enugu State University of Technology
- Dede K. Sokari, National Ex-Officio- River State University of Technology
In his inaugural address, Mr Azubuike, the new National Coordinator thanked the National Chairman Engr Olalekan Ajani and the immediate past National chairman Engr Monsuru A.Yinusa for establishing the body. whose journey started on 26th July,2020.
Azubuike outlined the agenda of the new body. Some which are: To serve as platform for all environmental engineering students across the country, and boosting NIEE Membership Drive, while promoting the Mandate of NIEE among students through Continuous Professional Development, Technical Sessions, Professional Mentorship Programmes and Skill Development in relation to Environmental Engineering. The body will also serve as a Platform that provide Opportunities of Professional Interactions and networking between young and established environmental engineers.
Nnamdi D.Azubuike is an undergraduate student studying Civil Engineering at Yaba College of Technology, Lagos Nigeria. He has Professional Interest in Construction Project Management, Structural, Geotechnical, Urban Engineering, Environmental and Water Engineering, Highway and Transportation Engineering. He has contributed to the field of Engineering through his activities as a student leader.
He has previously served as Coordinator South West, Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineering- NICESA(2019-2020); Honourable Member Representing Civil Engineering at Engineering Representative Council, National Association of Polytechnic Engineering Students NAPES (2019 to date) at Yaba College of Technology, Lagos; National Vice-President South West, National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS) 2019 to Date.