CENTRAL PLANNING COMMITTEE’S (CPC) PROGRESS REPORT
The National Chairman, Engr. Prof. Muhammad Ndaliman, FNIMechE represented by Engr. Dr. Robinson I. Ejilah, FNIMechE, the IFNC and the Chairman of the CPC, Engr. Alhassan A. Mohammed, MNIMechE were on a 2-day official visit (from 17th to 18th September, 2020) to Jos as part of preparations for the 2020 International Conference/AGM. The purpose of the visit was to meet with the LOC and pay courtesy calls on heads of organizations and government officials ahead of the planned conference event.
MEETING WITH THE LOC
During the meeting, the LOC briefed the delegation on the level of preparations so far. As part of milestone reached, letters for support and request for release of engineers, as well as conference flyers were received from the National Secretariat and distributed to organizations and individuals. At the end of the meeting the following resolutions were reached:
1. The LOC should continue the distribution of such letters and flyers.
2. The LOC should on their own schedule and other visits to companies, organizations and individuals.
3. The LOC should continue to mobilize members on the plateau for the conference.
4. The CPC on its part should in collaboration with the National Secretariat continue to mobilize other members by making direct phone calls to chapter chairmen and senior members of the Institution.
The visiting team and the LOC paid courtesy visits on the following:
1. The Vice Chancellor, University of Jos represented by his DVCs (Academic and Administration).
2. The Rector, Plateau State Polytechnic, Barkin Ladi.
3. Plateau State Commissioner for Science and Technology.
4. Plateau State Commissioner of Works and Transport represented by Permanent Secretary.
At both the University and the Polytechnic, the authorities have assured the delegation of their supporting the conference in the following areas:
a) Logistic support in the area of students and graduate members accommodation and transportation, including fuelling of the vehicles.
b) Release and sponsorship of employee Mechanical Engineers to attend the conference.
c) Attendance of the Vice Chancellor and the Rector including their principal officers during the opening ceremony and dinner of the conference and deliver their goodwill massages.
During the visits to the two commissioners, the delegation was assured of the following:
a) The buying -in and full backing of the conference as a project by the government and people of Plateau State.
b) Support of government in the areas of transportation logistics and accommodation.
c) Support from the government in the area of security.
d) Release of Mechanical Engineers in the employment of the State Government to attend the conference.
MEETING WITH THE CONFERENCE HOTEL MANAGEMENT
The delegation met with the management of Steffans Hotel and Suites, the official Conference Hotel. After some negotiations, the following agreements were reached:
1. The Hotel management has approved 40% discount on all Hall rates.
2. It has also approved a flat rate of N9,000 on all rooms or 30% discount on all room rates.
3. The management of the Hotel has agreed to address the problem of weak internet connectivity in the Hotel premises especially in the Halls.
4. The Institution is to make a commitment deposit as soon as possible to secure the venue.
OTHER UPCOMING VISITS
The delegation was schedule to visit the Chief of Staff to the Plateau State Executive Governor, H.E. Rt. Hon. Simon Bako Lalong, and the Hon. Commissioner of Health, but could not be possible due to the overriding official engagements of the officers. However, the visits will be undertaken as soon as another appointment is secured.
Overall, the visit turned out to be a huge success. The conference is adjudged to have the general buying-in of the government, and the hospitable people of Plateau State. The environment is set for a hitch-free and a very successful conference. The CPC will want to encourage mass participation of members in the conference. Members cannot afford to miss this first and unique opportunity to participate in the TIN CITY 2020 Conference, lest you miss out on the wonderful opportunity of a fulfilling conference experience, and the well touted hospitality of the government and good people of Plateau State.
Signed: Engr. Alhassan A. Mohammed