There comes a day in our lives when we have to end what seems like a lifetime to start and welcome a new beginning, today is definitely one of those days.
At my Investiture, two years ago, the following were clearly stated:
- The founding Fathers that birthed the branch gave the vision, work sacrificially and left a legacy on which we are building on.
- To precise the word of Isaac Newton, I will have to stand on the shoulders of NSE Ikeja giants to move the branch to a new level.
Gazing at the horizon for two years, some programs were envisioned and enshrined in my investiture speech as mapped in the table from Conception to Actualization
These are tall and daunting vision that had come to realization with the help of God Almighty, Past Chairmen, Elders, EXCOs , committees and members. rallied round in the two calendar years. With God on our side we have testimonies which attest to our persistence, painstaking thinking, teamwork and goodwill. New programs were introduced and some were rebranded and repackaged. Every calendar year starts with the challenge to execute our flagship programs innovatively, creatively and financially successful by getting the buy of sponsors.
We also inaugurated the advisory board which comprises of some past chairman and some elders of the branch.
The New programs introduced and successfully implemented to enhance and empower engineers are as follows:
- Innovation and creativity fair
- Coding Summer Camp for kids
- Adigun Arewa Mentorship Program
- / Olu Awoyinfa Endowment Fund
- Oludaiye Endowment Fund
- Idiat Amusu Project Skill Competition for secondary Schools / Engr. Kayode Adekoya scholarship Scheme for best student who enrolls for Engineering Course
- E- learning platform
The traditional programs were also sustained at a new level:
- Olu Awoyinfa Distinguished Annual lecture
- Ralph Alabi Annual lecture
- The Engineering Week features every year to celebrate Engineers and their contribution to the society.
The Projects embarked upon and attended with success during my tenure are as follows:
- Plastering of the fence, painting and artwork
- Filing and interlocking of the whole premises
- Construction of gatehouse
- Design of signage for the branch
- Renovation and Equipping of the secretariat and offices
- Renovation of the Meeting Hall
- Construction and Launching of the Frame of Fame
- Procurement of 20kva Generator
- Design, Plan Approval and Construction of Four storey building for learning and development of Engineers called Rauf Aregbesola Engineering Resource Centre.
Awards received by the branch during my tenure are as follows:
- Award from Institute of Engineers, Rwanda.
- Award from the centre of ethics and self value orientation
- Award from Yoruba youth forum.
- League of African development students.
- First position NSE 2018 Group dynamics.
All Those who contributed to my tenure.
- Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola donate the Engineering Resource Centre building a four storey building for learning and skill development.
- Nat Nkem and Engr. Aramide Adeyoye donate the filling and interlocking of the premises and the driveway
- Hotonu and Engr. Badmus donated the construction of the gatehouse
- Adewale Bashiru donates 20kva generator and renovation of the 120 capacity meeting hall.
- Adebowale donated towards the building project and gatehouse
- Aramide Adeyoye donates towards the building project
- Francis Oguamanam donates trophy for innovation and creative fair
- Ganiyu Johnson donates towards the building project
- Crown Masters Nig. Ltd. donates towards the painting and artwork of the fence of the premises
- Pilot Science Nig. Ltd. donates the signage of the branch.
- Arup donates their consultancy towards the building project
- Gbade Osuolale donates the soil test and analysis for the building project
- Femi Akarakiri donates laptops to the secretariat for administrative works.
- Kenol Nig. Ltd/ donates laptops to schools for the Idiat Amusu project skill competition
No doubt, our tenure was a huge success, but not without a few challenges which we conquered with wisdom and understanding. However, we inculcated good attitude and morally sound responses to situations, used technology innovatively within the uncontrollable constraints such as COVID-19 and ensured that we did all what was there to be done in the right order.
Our biggest challenge was working in the midst of wrong insinuations and perceptions by people who had no respect for it’s own people or EXCOs but with your support and divine empowerment, we achieved.
I will urge the incoming EXCOs to continue with the good work we have achieved and to do something better in order to leave good memories in the hearts of NSE Ikeja members and the Nigerian society of Engineers at large.
In closing I want to thank the past chairmen without whose inspiration our projects, so satisfactory accomplished, would not have been begun.
I appreciate you all. Thank you.
Engr. Dr. Mrs. Funmilade Akingbagbohun (Chairman Ikeja Branch 2018-2020)
|1.||Professional Dev’t & Empowerment||1. Creating an Engineering Hub|
2. Strengthening Workshop and Technical Program
3. E-library Project
|1. Building of Engineering Resource Center|
2. Training & Workshop forum implemented on Telegram platform
3. – follow from (1) above
|2.||Young Engineers Dev’t||1. Project Skill program for Secondary School Students Inspiration|
2. Adigun Arewa Mentorship Program
3. Holding Creativity & innovativity fair
|1. Re-packaged and rebranded as Idiat Amusu Project Skill|
2. Adigun Arewa Mentorship program, 2 editons achieved
3. Inno-Creativ fair Instituted, 2 editions achieved
|3.||Awareness & Publicity||1. Enhanced Information & public relation work|
2. Promote Quality Network & Participation during Events
|1. More Interactive groups created on Whatsapp platform|
2. Good coverage by the media- electronic,print and blogs
|4.||Public & Private Sector Collaboration||1. Collaborate with Government and Communities||1. Advisory support Provided to Government|
2. Stronger bonds fostered with Industries
|5.||Membership Growth & welfare||1. Make programs more rewarding and Attractive|
2. Nurture & Support Ikeja Branch members in entrepreneurial activities and welfare to the members especially during the COVID 19 pandemic.
|6.||Founders day||1. Annual Celebration Proposed|
|7.||Public Lectures||1. Sustained||1. Engr. Ralph Alabi Annual Lecture|
2. Engr. Olu-Awoyinfa Annual Lecture
|8.||Scholarships||1. Sustained||1. Engr. Kayode Adekoya Scholarship|
|9.||PRIZE AWARDS / ENDOWMENTS||1. By Providence||1. Olu-Awoyinfa Prize for Best Graduating Student in Chemical Engineering Dept. of OAU – Annual|
2. Anthony Oludaiye Prize for Best Graduating Student in HND Electrical Power Engineering of Yaba College of Technology