The Nigerian Society of Engineers was established in London, England on the 6th of February, 1958 with Engr. Chief G.O Aiwerioba as President and Engr. Chief T. Teju Oyeleye as Secretary.
Approximately a year later a Branch of the Society was established at Abeokuta on the 18th of January, 1959 followed shortly afterwards by the establishment of the National Secretariat in Lagos with Engr. Chief Adeniyi Williams as President and Engr. Chief G.O Aiwerioba as Secretary.
The Society was formally inaugurated in Lagos on the 20th of August, 1960 by the Prime Minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,
Sir Abukakar Tafawa Balewa.
In addition to the National Secretariat at the National Engineering Close, Victoria Island, Lagos, the Society is presently developing a Federal Capital Secretariat at Abuja. The Society has over 36 Branches in nearly all the State of the Federation.
PORT HARCOURT BRANCH
The Port Harcourt branch of society was established on 1st December, 1972 with Engr. Eugene J. Wakama as Protem Chairman and Late Mr. B. K. Ikiriko as Protem Secretary, at the instance of the then National President of the society, Engr. Dr. S.O. Meshida.
In 1973 a formal General meeting was held in which Late Engr. D.H.S. Souza-Okpofabiri was elected Chairman and Late Mr. B.K. Ikiriko retained his post as Secretary.
It is interesting to note that at that time, there were only five members of the NSE in Port Harcourt, namely: Engr. Chief D.H.S. Souza-Okpofabiri, Engr. Dr. Sir Youpele O. Beredugo, Engr. Eugene J. Wakama, Engr. Chief Sir I. T. J. Ordor and Engr. Sir Ishmael A Banigo, a number that was normally inadequate for the establishment of a Branch. However, because of the strategic importance of Port Harcourt as the center of the oil industry, and the potential catchment area for Engineers, NSE Headquaters in Lagos appeared to have overlooked the deficiency and approved the establishment of a Port Harcourt Branch. To ensure that we were able to function effectively, a novel category of membership was established called “Local members” who were local branch. As soon as the branch was formally inaugurated, an interview center was approved for port Harcourt with Engr. Chief DHS Souza-Okpofabiri as Chairman.
The interview panel proceeded to interview all the so –called “Local members” and before long, most of the eligible ones became normal members of the Society and the local membership graded was quietly phased out. The branch has been very active over the years with the following as Chairman and Secretaries:
It is gratifying to note that from such humble beginnings, the Port Harcourt Branch of the NSE has become one of the largest in the country, and has continued to contribute to the overall development of engineering and engineering education in Nigeria. The Branch successfully hosted the National Engineering Conference and Annual General Meeting in 1976, 1987 and 2001. As with other Branches of the society, the Port Harcourt Branch organizes Technical Evenings where Technical paper are presented and discussed, during which the problems and prospects of the Engineering Profession in Nigeria are brought into focus.