The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: WaSH Officer
Webcruiter ID: 4275946225
Location: Pulka, Borno
Employment type: Contract
Percentage of full-time: 100
Start date: 22/09/2020
End date: 31/12/2020
Reports: The WaSH Officer reports to the WaSH Coordinator – Area South.
NRC is looking for a WaSH Officer for our Pulka Field office in North East Nigeria.
The purpose of the WaSH Officer position is day to day implementation of the WASH Project according to Plan of Action and project portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbooks and guidelines
Implement delegated WaSH project portfolio according to plan of action
Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
Ensure proper filing of documents
Ensure that projects target beneficiaries most in need, and explore and asses new and better ways to assist
Promote and share ideas for technical improvement
- Coordinate the WaSH activities according to strategy, proposals, budgets and plans
- Assist the WaSH Project Coordinator in all aspects of WsSH programs planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for works for all water infrastructure and sanitation facilities
- Assess the wash training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans
- Conducts water quality testing and sanitary inspection at water points
- Provides technical assistance to the WaSH Program Development Manager and local counterparts on issues of WaSH information and communication strategies
- Assists in the establishment, and training of water point committees as well as monitoring their performance
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly wash reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets
- Ensure that procurement, development and distribution of materials and equipment are timely and according to procedures.
- Performs any other duties as requested by the WaSH Project Coordinator
Experience from working as a Project Officer in a humanitarian/recovery context
Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Degree or Higher Diploma in Civil or Water Engineering or Public Health (BAC 5) minimum
Minimum 3 years’ experience from working with wash projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage.
Previous 2 years work experience in community based Water and Sanitation programs; Work experience with an INGO is desirable
Must have knowledge of emergency Water supply, Hygiene, Sanitation requirements and protocols
Familiarity with international minimum standards of Water and Sanitation delivery (i.e., SPHERE) is an advantage
Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheets is required,
Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, Arc Gis and Google Earth is strongly desirable
Context skills, knowledge and Experience:
Knowledge of the context of Northeast Nigeria
Experience with start-up activities
Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
Must be willing to work as a team member, take direction, and share technical skills with colleagues and counterparts
Planning and delivering results
Empowering and building trust
Communicating with impact and respect
Handling insecure environment
We Can Offer
Duty Station: Pulka
Grade Level: 5
Contract Duration: Four months till December 31st 2020 (renewable)
Application Closing Date
29th August, 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online
Application Procedures and CV Registration / Notice
Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the “Company name” field for both company and location.
The position is for Nigerian Nationals only