BEING THE REPORT OF NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF POLYTECHNIC STUDENTS NAPS MEETING WITH NATIONAL EXECUTIVE COUNCIL OF NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF TECHNOLOGIST IN ENGINEERING NATE THIS DAY 8TH FEBRUARY, 2020 AT NATIONAL SECRETARIAT OF NATE ABUJA DURING HER 172ND NEC MEETING.*
PREAMBLE: National Association of Polytechnic Students NAPS is an umbrella body for all Polytechnics, Monotechnics, Colleges of Technology and other allied Institutions awarding National Diploma and Higher National diploma across the six geopolitical Zones of Nigeria Federation. The association have membership strength of over 21.8million armless batallion spread across campuses in Nigeria.
Our Concerns And Response Raised And Addressed:
The leadership of NAPS established the following concern before the National Executive Council of National Association of Technologist in Engineering NATE with the view of calling for collective effort to end the injustice and abnormalities in the system as it affect the Polytechnic graduates and most expecially the Polytechnic Engineering Graduates known as Technologist.
1. Post Graduate Requirements For Polytechnic Engineering graduates and other deciplines ; We are deeply worried that Polytechnic graduates are subjected to humiliation and redicule even in the pursuit of further studies in Nigeria Universities, while HND distinction and Upper Credit could not Enrole directly for Masters Degree program until they get PGD like third class Degree holders is not encouraging and highly embarrassing, we hereby seek possible move by NATE in collaboration with other stakeholders to seek redress. We appreciate the effort of NATE in achieving unconditional 300level for HND holders interested to pursue degree programmes in Nigeria University as against the old order of only distinction and strong upper.
2. Professional certification should be of professional practice and competence while we face dichotomy in civil service, it is uncalled for to have more discrimination in attaining professional certification by COREN again as Polytechnic Engineering graduates. While we commend the introduction of NATE COREN seal to ameliorate the refusal of COREN to issue his seal for COREN Registered Engineers of HND background, We seek NATE official request of withdrawal of new directive by COREN which stated that all HND holders must posses Master Degree as prerequisite for attaining COREN certification from 2021.
3. We applaud the introduction of special career progression scheme for Technologist in civil service by NATE while assuring the association of our commitment to push holistically for the approval and implementation by National Council on Establishment & FEC , we equally establish our unrelenting effort to push for release of implementation circular for removal of ceiling on career progression for other HND graduates in civil service as approved by NCE, FEC and back with several white papers released by past governments.
4. We appreciate NATE and COREN stride in realising stoppage of Engineering graduates posting for teaching by NYSC, we affirm that the strict posting of Engineering graduates to Engineering related firms will boost competence and professionalism in Engineering practice in Nigeria while pleading for similar intervention for students on Industrial Training both 4 Months SIWES and 1year IT to ease learning and enhance competency of Engineering students in Polytechnics.
5. We implore NATE to join the call for revival of industries in Nigeria to enable the country survive its CLOSE BORDER POLICY, as its eminent we revive industries to meet up the made in Nigeria for Nigerians SATISFACTION which is the only avenue for technologist to shine and prove worth as major driver of industrialisation and economy boom.
6. We call on NATE to rise to the occasion by synergising with other stakeholders in the technical and vocational education sector and Staff Unions in Polytechnics to expose Nigeria government to needs for appointment of people with HND backgrounds to head Polytechnics, Monotechnics and Colleges of Technology as Rector/Provost/Principal and Head of Polytechnic Regulatory body NBTE to ascertain effective management of Polytechnic system in Nigeria for maximum productivity.
7. We resolve to hold Technology Conference (T-CONFERENCE) across the six geopolitical zones of the federation to raise awareness for students and graduates of Polytechnic on attainment of professional qualification as well the collective steps needed to be taken to address undue discrimination against our Polytechnic graduates including the need for collective push for approval and implementation of newly introduced Technologist Cadre Salary Scale which is not in existence before.
The emancipation of Polytechnic students and graduates in Nigeria is non-negotiable!
Aluta Continua, Victoria Acerta.
Activist Sunday A Asuku
National Association of Polytechnic Students (NAPS)
Yemi Adeniran National Secretariat