WELCOME ADDRESS BY ENGR. ADEYEMI BIODUN OYEDEPO FNSE, FNISafetyE, THE NATIONAL CHAIRMAN OF NIGERIAN INSTITUTION OF SAFETY ENGINEERS
1. On behalf of all Safety Engineers, I welcome you to the Safety Engineering Conference, RIVERS 2019, our Guests of Honours His Excellency NYESOM WIKE,Executive Governor of Rivers State
The President, Council for the Regulation of Engineering in Nigeria (COREN) Engr Ali Alimasuya Rabiu, FNSE, FNICE
The Chairman of the occasion, the President, Nigerian Society of Engineers, Engr Adekunle Mokuolu, FNSE
The President, National Industrial Safety Council of Nigeria, Mr Cletus Akghibe
Our esteemed guest speakers, corporate sponsors, Safety Engineers and all other conferees.
2. The Nigerian Institution of Safety Engineers (A division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers) is hosting this conference on Engineering Safety at a time when issues of national security, petroleum tanker explosion, process upset etc claim the lives and properties of Nigerians. These events require a response and strong commitment from Engineers to curb avoidable losses hence the Safety Division of NSE has risen up to this challenge. In 2018 we responded with a National Workshop on Petroleum Tanker Safety on November 14th and National Conference on November 15th -16th with the theme Accident Prevention: The Role of Government from a Safety Engineering Perspective in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State with solutions proffered based on perspectives from Engineering designs, welding/fabrication, quality of materials, Highway Engineering, Fire Safety, Emergency Preparedness/Response, Legislation for Safety Commissions in the States and National etc.
3. I am pleased to inform you that we are making inroads to the Safety consciousness of the political class as our efforts has begun to yield tangible fruits with the proposal of the Akwa Ibom State Safety Commission bill by Rt. Hon. Usoro Akpanusoh. The bill has gone through the second reading in July 2019 at the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly.
4. The Theme for this year’s conference is ‘ADVANCING MODERN SAFETY ENGINEERING APPLICATIONS FOR INDUSTRIAL AND PUBLIC SAFETY IN NIGERIA’ with a focus on Process Safety as will be outlined by our guest speakers, professionals from the Oil and Gas sector, private stakeholders and government as custodians and guarantors of laws and resources.
5. Our core values as a Safety Engineering body is to harness our professional expertise in all fields of Engineering to proffer Engineering Safety solutions using Nigerian Engineers to ensure Safe industrial processes and public safety through safe designs, execution and usage.
6. NISafetyE is ready to partner with government
✓ Advise, guide and help organizations on engineering safety and related issues;
✓ Give assistance to statutory bodies to enact engineering safety regulations and standards;
✓ Educate the society at large to contribute and adhere to safety regulations and all forms of safety.
7. These values has led various Chapters in the country to seek partnership with both private and public institutions to foster good safety engineering practices in their states.
8. The NISafetyE commends the NDDC and the Akwa Ibom State government for the timely intervention of desilting/clearing of the waterways to tackle the effects of flooding in Eket, Ibeno, Uyo and other locations. ; We as an Institution gave professional recommendations on how anti bunkering activities should be handled without polluting the environment and destroying properties as witnessed on the Atabong Bridge in Eket.
9. The year 2019 has witnessed an acceleration and expansion of our activities which has led to the creation of an additional three (3) State Chapters being Lagos, Rivers and Delta with more to come. . Together we shall do our best to inspire and inculcate the Culture of Engineering Safety in engineers, work with other stakeholders to reinforce Safety of persons, processes, facilities and structures.
10. In conclusion, I welcome and appreciate all our delegates, distinguished guests for their contribution to the success of this conference. It is without doubt that the conference will be fruitful and will encourage the adoption of International best practices in Engineering Safety.
Safety is the bedrock of Engineering!
Engr. A. B. Oyedepo, FNSE, FNISafetyE