It is a mixed feeling and yet with the traditional camaraderie that exist among engineers as the various branches of NSE go to poll as part of the concluding Engineering year to elect, return or oppose new leaders to pilot the affairs in the next engineering year.
For those who may not know, the Engineering year in Nigeria runs from June to July of every 12 months and thus most of the Branches and Divisions conduct their elections in July and August.
Leading the pack is the reigning best Branch in the country, the NSE Ikeja Branch where Engr Mrs Funmi Akingbagbohun is returning to serve second term. There is also NSE Nsukka Branch where Engr C. J. Ohagwu emerges the chairman. While Ilorin Branch also had its Chairman, Engr. M.A. Akanbi going into second term. At Victoria Island, the branch elected new chairman, Engr John Audu who will be succeeding the outgoing Engr Rose Madaki who has the honour of holding three chairmanship same time (Victoria Island, Lagos and National). In addition, Yenagoa and Oluyole Branch also elected their new officers.
Report as collated by My Engineers indicated the increasing awareness among engineers as to their responsibilities in piloting the affairs of the profession in the states. Thus each election year continues to get more interesting as more engineers join in putting themselves up for the service of the profession.
At Ikeja Branch, dubbed the Branch to beat because of its pioneering programmes and vibrancy, Engr Funmilade Akingbagbohun is returning for her second term. Having presented her stewardship for the outgoing year. To join here in the leadership the following are elected/returned to serve.
.1.Chairman- Engr. Funmi AKingbagbohun
2. Vice chairman- Engr Sunday Oguntunde
3. General secretary – Engr.Remi Eko
4. Asst.Gen.Sec – Engr.Catherine Onojaife
5. Financial secretary- Engr.Bayo Majonagbe
6. Treasurer – Engr.Faosat Aina
7. Publicity secretary- Engr.Lekan Olabode
8. Technical secretary – Engr.Abdulganiyu Taimiyu
9. Asst.Tech.Sec – Engr. Atinuke Owolabi
10. Ex-officio – Engr.Adegboyega Adeleye
Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
NSE Nsukka Branch the election which was conducted after the AGM threw up some fresh faces. with Engr C. J.Ohagwu as the the new chairman of the Branch.
Nsukka Branch Executive committee members for the next calendar year.
Others on the executive Committee to pilot the affairs are:
- Chairman… Engr C. J.Ohagwu.
- Vice Chairman…. Engr J. O. Emenwodo.
- Secretary… Engr D. O. Nwagbara.
- Assistant Secretary.. Engr Dr U. C. Ogbuefi
- Treasurer.. Engr Dr M. J. Mbunwe.
- Financial Secretary.. Engr Dr J . C. Anyadike
- P. R. O /D. O. S… Engr Justus Chukwnonyelum.
- Ex-Officio… Engr J. S. Onyishi.
At Ilorin Branch, dubbed the harmony Branch Engr Akanbi is returning for his second term while new faces are joining him to pilot the affairs of the Branch.
Ilorin executive committee membersThe full list of the new executive members are:.
Engr. M.A. Akanbi, -Chairman
- Engr. Dr. (Mrs) T.E. Odetoye, -Vice Chairman
- Engr. K.L. Ahmed, -General Secretary
- Engr. S.O. Ashola, -Treasurer
- Engr. T.O. Ibikunle, – Financial Secretary
- Engr. H.K. Ibrahim, – Technical Secretary
- Engr. M.A. Lawal, – Asst. Technical Secretary
- Engr. A.O. Temim, – Publicity Secretary
- Engr. I.P. Abubakar, – Ex-Officio
- Engr. J.S. Adebayo, -Ex-Officio/ IPC
It was a keen contest, with the election going into the night, as at the various contestants sold their visions to their colleagues to offer themselves for the service of the profession. The branch, dubbed “the branch that makes a difference ” has many new faces as Engr John Audu emerged as the new chairman to succeed the first female chairman of the Branch, Engr Rose Madaki. under whose tenure the Branch witnessed many innovations.
The list of the new Executives members for the Branch are thus:
- Engr. John Audu – Chairman
- Engr Emeka Ibeh – Vice Chairman
- Engr. Christian Okwori – General Secretary
- Engr. Sunday Egbiki – Assistant General Secretary
- Technical Secretary – Void
- Engr. Ayoola Olufemi – Assistant Technical Secretary
- Engr. . Patrick Nwogu – Financial Secretary
- Engr. Israel Utho – Assistant Financial Secretary
- Engr. Babatunde James – Publicity Secretary
- Engr. Aristo Bulus Tauna – Assistant Publicity Secretary
- Engr. Austyne Duru – Internal Auditor
- Engr. MaryAnne Egbe – Welfare Secretary
- Engr. Obiageli Akposionu- Treasurer
- Maj. Danol Adeniyi – Ex Officio 1
- Engr Rose Madaki – Immediate Past Chairman
“Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.
-Edward Everett Hale
Created out of the need to give engineers around Oluyole industrial area the opportunity to gather and network, Oluyole Branch within shortest time has be been getting stronger.
As with many others, they too went to poll and produced a new leader as Engr Ademola Agoro rounded off his tenure. The branch elected Engr Abdulrasaq as their new chairman.
Below is the full list of the new executive members.
- Engr. Abdulrasaq Jimoh- Chairman
- Engr. Ojoawo, Solomon Olawale,
- Engr. Oluwatobi Saheed Busari General Secretary
- Engr. Bolanle Cornelius Oyetayo, Assistant General Secretary
- Engr. ADEBIYI, Adejumoke Aderonke, Treasurer
- Engr. Adedayo Sule- Technical Secretary
- Engr. Seye – Assistant Technical Secretary
- Engr. Jude Ugwuoke, Publicity Secretary
- Engr. Ayodele Olowonawu- Financial Secretary
- Engr. Samson Okunlola- Ex- Officio II
- Engr. Ademola Agoro -IPC
The Nigerian Society of Engineers, the umbrella body of Nigerian engineers, currently has over 70 Branches nationwide through which it serves engineers across the federation. In addition, it also has Divisions which are independence and constituted based on the varying engineering disciplines and specialization and also has their Chapters across the country.
From all of us at My Engineers, Congratulations to all the branches and their new officers.
Isqil Najim reporting