In the wake of global climate change, and need to preserve the environment, the quest to move from fossil fuel has gripped the world as serious nations have already set the ball rolling. Nigeria is not left out.
The Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers under the leadership of Engr Dr. Robinson Ejilah, FNIMechE, has concluded all arrangements for the 2018 Edition of Mechanical Engineering Distinguished Lecture, holding at NSE Auditorium, National Engineering Centre, CBD, Abuja on Wednesday 25th July 2018 at 11 a.m. prompt.
The topic for the 2018 Lecture is” Fast tracking the paradigm Shift from Fossil Fuel Economy to Renewable Energy: A Clarion Call to Nigerian Mechanical Engineers” to be delivered by Engr Dr. Maikanti Kacalla Baru, GMD NNPC. It is expected to touch on the Nigerian plan and journey toward embracing renewable energy.
The President of Nigerian Society of Engineers, Engr Adekunle Mokulu, FNSE, will chair the event while the Former Nigerian Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary to republic of France, Engr. Amb.Banu Sherrif Musa FNSE, OFR, NPOM is Distinguished Guest of Honour. Other distinguished guests are expected from across the country to grace the occasion.
NIMechE MEDL is the hotbed of intellectual meetup up for policymakers and professional engineers. It is an avenue like no other for the Mechanical Engineers to mingle with other professionals and share perspective with those who are in the think of action. You shouldn’t miss this opportunity.
Some of the past Editions are;
- 1995 November 10th Topic: Engineering and People Oriented Development by late Engr. O. A. Faluyi FNSE, FNIMechE, FAEng (Past President N.S.E., Past President COREN, Past President, The Nigerian Academy of Engineering.)
- 1996 November 8th Topic: Industrialisation in Nigeria, the Place of Mechanical Engineers By Late Engr. (Dr.) Raphael A. Alabi FNSE, FNIMechE, OON, Past Chairman Guinness Nigeria Plc, Past Chairman Manufacturing Association of Nigeria.
- 1997 November 27th Topic: After a Century of Electricity Industry in Nigeria: Wither do we go by Engr. (Prince) G. T. Adeniyi FNSE, FNIMechE Former Director Engineering Services, Power Holding Company of Nigeria Plc.
- 1998 November 20th Topic: The Maritime Industry & Effective Economic Growth in Nigeria By Dr. V. N. Ozobia FNSE, FNIMechE; Former Managing Director/Chief Executive Officer, Nigerdock Plc.
- 2004 November 19th Topic: Rehabilitating, Reforming & Restructuring the Power Sector: The Journey so far. By J. O. Makoju FNSE, FNIMechE, OFR Former MD/CEO, WAPCO Plc; Former MD/CEO, PHCN; Former SSA to the Nigerian President & C in C;
- 2010 September 16th Topic: Lean &Strategic Procurement: The Role of Professional Engineers by Dr. J. O. Mbonu FNSE, FNIMechE; Former MD/CEO, Sierra Leone Brewery Ltd., Freetown; Director, PricewaterhouseCooper (PwC) Limited.
- 2011 June 30th Topic: How Multinationals Manage the Public: Lessons for Engineers ; by O. A. Odumabo FNSE, FNIMechE ;Regional Vice President, African Business Development, Chevron Africa and Latin America E & P.
- 2012 November 29th Topic: A Framework For Efficient and Sustainable Power Delivery in Nigeria. By Engr. Prof. Howells I Hart, FNSE, FNIMechE, Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Deputy Vice Chancellor, Rivers State University of Science and Technology, Port Harcourt.
- 2013 April 25th Topic: Domestic Refining – Panacea for Sustainable Supply of Petroleum Products. By Bolanle A Ayodele, FNSE, FNIMechE; MD/Chief Executive Officer, KRPC/NNPC
- 2014 August 7th Topic: The Advancing Engineering Frontiers and the Illusions of the Under-Developed Countries by Prof. Steve Nwachukwu Ojobor, FNSE, FNIMechE, C Eng, Dean, School of Engineering, Caritas University, Amorji Nike, Enugu State
- 2015 May 13 Topic; The Automotive Industry and Nigeria’s Industrialisation by Engr Aminu Jalal, FNSE, FNIMechE, Director General, National Automotive Council.
- … expect something bigger…
Who is Engr Dr. Maikanti Kacalla Baru?
Dr. M. K. Baru attended Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria, in Kaduna State of Nigeria; where he obtained Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical) with a first class honors. He also holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Mechanical engineering.
Dr. Baru had worked in various capacities in both the Upstream and Downstream Sectors of NNPC. These includes Group General Manager of Greenfield Refinery Projects, Managing Director of Hyson, Executive Director of Nigerian Gas Company (NGC), General Manager – Gas Division of NAPIMS, Manager – Operations, Procurement Management Services and Manager – Engineering for National Engineering and Technical Company Limited (NETCO).Dr-Maikanti-Baru-GED-Exploration-Production
During his initial stint with NAPIMS which spanned from July 1993 to July 1999, Dr. Baru executed several Gas projects which are utilizing billions of standard cubic feet of gas per day. Several other ongoing projects were also conceptualized under his care. He planned the projects that would ensure flare-out by 2008 and made huge savings while overseeing the Joint Venture Gas Projects.
He was also the NNPC’s Chief Technical Negotiator on the West African Gas Pipeline project from July 1999 to April 2004. Dr. Baru has been the Chairman of NNPC Anti – Corruption Committee since September 2004 till date; and has relentlessly sensitized staff on obligations and laws that govern corruption and corrupt practices.
Dr. Baru is a fellow of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, Fellow of Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers and a recipient of the Presidential Merit Award of the Nigerian Society of Chemical Engineers. He is married with children.
For more information contact Engr. Prof. Ademola Adisa Bello Chairman Planning Committee 2018 MEDL 08023835444, 08034526329
compiled by Isqil Najim