WELCOME ADDRESS BY THE OUT-GOING CHAIRMAN, NSE OSOGBO BRANCH, ENGR. FELIX ADENIRAN IBITOYE (KILOMODEMO) FNSE, FNIMechE, FAutoEl AT THE INVESTITURE OF THE 17TH CHAIRMAN, ENGR. HAQIB ADETOMIWA ZUBAYR MNSE, FNIEEE ON SATURDAY 8TH APRIL, 2017 AT LEISURE SPRING HOTEL, OSOGBO.
NO POSITION IS PERMANENT
Permit me to start with a song to my father in Heaven on behalf of my Team.
“Ara E Dide, E Ba Wa Jooo
Eniyan Wa, E Ba Wa Yooo
Ki Lo Tun Yewa, Bi Ko Se Ope
Ope Ni Tawa Lojo Gbogbo”
In the Holy Bible, exactly in the Book of Psalms, Chapter 150 verse 6, it says, and I quote, “let everything that hath breath, praise the Lord”.
In all things, we must give praise and glory to God Almighty, the Creator of Heaven and the Earth, the one who knew and moulded us from our Mother’s womb and has been sustaining us in all our endeavours.
I give all glory, honour, praises and adoration to His holy name in Jesus name, Amen.
Now that I have thanked God, let me delve into my address proper.
I titled this short address, “NO POSITION IS PERMANENT”. According to these words of an Indian politician and I quote, “In a democracy, power is not permanent”.
I have come to learn that nothing, be it condition or position is ever permanent. They are temporary, therefore if you find yourself in a position of power and authority, use it well and leave an indelible mark so that people will remember you for your legacies.
Just as the proverb says, I cannot blow my own trumpet but it is necessary to list the achievements that I and my team were able to record while I held sway as the Branch Chairman.
My Sojourn In To Engineering Politics
As the Pioneer Chairman of the Nigerian Institution of Mechanical Engineers (NIMechE), Osun State Chapter, from 2009 and 2013, it is on record that this Division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers was the first to be inaugurated in this State on 10th January 2009. Some of the achievements I recorded during the period are as follows:
- Hosting the 19th National Conference of NIMechE in Osun State in October 2009.
- Inauguration of the Students Chapters at the Obafemi Awolowo University Ile-Ife and Osun State College of Technology, Esa Oke in 2010 & 2011 respectively.
- Investiture of the Governor State of Osun, Engr. Ogbeni AbdulRauf Adesoji Aregbesola FNSE, FNIMechE as the National Patron of the Institution in 2012.
- Osun NIMechE was awarded twice as the Best Chapter of NIMechE in 2012 and 2nd Best Overall Chapter in the 2013 Group Dynamics.
Nigerian Society of Engineers
By the special grace of God and your support, after serving as the State NIMechE Chairman, I had the opportunity to serve our esteemed Nigerian Society of Engineers at both local and National levels.
I was twice elected as a National Audit Member in 2013 & 2014; and later elected as a National Executive Member of the Society in 2015 to date, where I presently Chair the Media and Publicity Committee, among others. You elected me as the 16th Branch Chairman of NSE Osogbo on 28th August, 2014.
The 3 key focus areas during my electioneering campaigns were: Membership Drive, Creativity and New Innovation and Professional Development activities.
Through your support and those of some Friends of the Branch, Corporate Organisations and Government of the State of Osun, under the leadership of Engr. Ogbeni AbdulRauf Aregbesola FNSE, FNIMechE, we were able to deliver on our promises and moved the Branch to the next level.
Some Of The Achievements Recorded Under My Tenure As Osogbo Branch Chairman.
- Before the first General Meeting as the Chairman of the Branch, the Executive under my watch created office Spaces for the Chairman, General Secretary and Administrative Secretary, which was commissioned at the general meeting on 23rd October, 2014. We also built toilets for both males and females.
- Renovation of meeting rooms; for Executive and General Meetings, for the Branch and Chapters, as well as meeting room for the Spouses.
- Donation of ceiling fans, fixing of wall curtains, information centre, generating sets, public address system, quality office furniture and customised NSE podium were commissioned at the November 2014 General Meeting.
4 After extensive efforts, NSE Osogbo Examination Centre for Intending Corporate Members, was approved by the then NSE President, Engr. Ademola Isaac Olorunfemi FNSE on 11th February, 2015.
Permit me to inform you that the Osogbo Examination Centre since then has recorded the following successes: The first set wrote their examination in April, 2015 with 58 candidates; the second set was September, 2015 with 63 registered candidates; third set was April, 2016 with 91 candidates, fourth set of September, 2016 with 41 candidates and the fifth set in April, 2017 with 68 registered candidates. This ranks Osogbo Centre as one of the Centres with the highest number of Candidates for the NSE examination nationwide.
- Partnership with Osun State University (UNIOSUN) under the Immediate Past Acting Vice-Chancellor, Engr. (Prof.) Oguntola Jelil Alamu MNSE, in many areas of professional developments.
- In January, 2015, Osun hosted both the COREN and NSE Presidents (at the same time) for the inauguration of the Osun Engineering Regulation and Monitoring Inspectorate ERM.
- Osogbo Branch within the last two years enjoyed excellent good working relationship with the NSE Headquarters and with other Branches and Divisions nationwide.
- We actively deployed our Social Media presence to give the Branch strong national and international visibility. Aside this, we created a mailing list, where we regularly transmit new developments and information within the Branch and at National Headquarters to our Members. This also includes, monthly Newsletter from the Branch.
- We enjoyed the strong support and collaboration of the Members of the fourth estate of the realm (The press), both print and electronic. Same goes to the Tertiary Institutions, FRSC, Nigerian Police and others within the State.
- Hosted the National Chairmen of NIMechE, NIEEE, NIAE and APWEN Divisions of the NSE and facilitated their visits to the Governor of the State.
- We promoted Young Engineers Forum and inducted 179 Graduate Members of UNIOSUN in March, 2016 where the NSE President, Engr. Otis Anyaeji, FNSE and his team were in attendance.
- I delivered the Keynote Address at the Second Engineering Conference of the Osun State Polytechnic, Iree in August, 2015 and was the Guest Lecturer at the Faculty of Engineering Lecture Day of the Federal University of Agriculture, Abeokuta, Ogun State in June, 2016.
- In the NSE Group Dynamics Competition among the 64 Branches nationwide; Osogbo Branch clinched 2nd Position in 2015 and repeated the 2nd Position again in 2016. They were the best records so far in the Branch history.
- The number of Fellows of the Nigerian Society of Engineers, amongst NSE Osogbo Branch Members increased, just as registered Corporate Members of the Branch grew appreciably.
- The Branch made industrial and technical visits to some organisations and government projects. Also, we organised technical sessions, seminars, workshops and public lectures.
- The Branch supported the NSE Council with cash donations, customised bottled water and a 20×10ft drop flex banner in 2015.
- During the period under review, we mobilised our Members for other Branches, Divisions and Headquarters programmes; Participation of NSE Osogbo Branch Members increased among National Boards and Committees; Inaugurated APWEN and NIAE Chapters of the Division in 2016; Facilitated the Osun State Chapter of the Automotive Engineers Institute Division of the NSE with two Members of the Branch already conferred with the Institution’s fellowship
- Others are our usual welfare packages which were intensified, as there is nothing more glorifying in a group than having happy Members. The Branch organised courtesy calls to individuals and organisations and supported Members who had birthdays, weddings, funerals and other recognized programs.
Challenges were experienced but through your support, the public and private sectors, we overcame.
Needless to say, NSE Osogbo Branch has come of age and has now joined the rank of the elite Branches in the Country. Not only do we have a strong, committed membership base and robust programmes but we are also capable of growing even farther.
Charge To The Incoming Chairman
My success as the Chairman was due to the support you and others gave me and the dedication of my team. Today, we gather here in honour of a new leader, Engr. Haqib Adetomiwa Zubayr MNSE, FNIEEE as he officially takes the leadership mantle.
He has been part of our team and I can say that he is very capable of taking it to greater height, as I have had occasions to work with him on some assignments. He has all it takes to steer the ship of the Branch in the right course.
Government is a continuum and cannot survive in a vacuum; I am using this avenue to call on all the Osogbo Branch Members, the Private and Public Sectors, our friends and partners to rally around him like a hedge and ensure he has a successful tenure.
I am specifically charging you Engineers to give him the kind of support and backing which you gave to me.
Also, I am using this opportunity to congratulate other incoming Branch Executives and call on all Members to increase your awareness of engineering development in the Country by fully participating in all NSE activities and programmes. We must make conscious efforts to play our part in solving the many problems besetting the Country.
Tribute to The Fallen Members
Please let us all rise and observe a minute silence in honour of fallen Members during the period in view; Engr. Ayodeji Alabi MNSE and Engr. Samat Aderemi Adeyeye MNSE.
To all those God made available to support us. I use this opportunity to thank the NSE National Executives and Council, Past Osogbo Branch Chairmen and all the Stakeholders, for their countless support especially to the growth and development of this Branch.
Gratitude goes to the government of the State of Osun led by Mr. Governor, Engr. Ogbeni AbdulRauf Adesoji Aregbesola FNSE, FNIMechE, the Political Functionaries, Ministries, Departments and Agencies for their unflinching support. My special greetings go to all the Royal Fathers. To my team (2014-2016), you have practically shown definition of commitment, sacrifice and dedication. Indeed, you are all wonderful.
As I bow out officially today as the Authentic Branch Chairman and join the club of Elders and Past Chairmen, I want to assure you that I will not relent in my efforts, to ensure that this Branch continue to wax stronger and become a pride to the State of Osun and Nigeria as a whole. This is our collective responsibility. I must not conclude without congratulating the successful Corporate Members to be inducted today. As you come into the fold, make your impact known to the Society and the world at large. Never compromise the standard but embrace quality in everything you do. Be focused, passionate, resilient, dedicated, creative and loyal to your Employers.
Ladies and gentlemen, I welcome you all to this special occasion. As Henry Ford once said, “Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress; working together is success.”
Once again, I welcome you to this great occasion and I say Thank You All For Listening.
AWARDS TO OUT GOING EXCOS
AWARDS TO DISTINGUISHED DONE
PRESENTATION OF EXAM CENTRE DURING HANDING OVER