NSE Presidents Address at the Induction Ceremony, Awards & Public Lecture at the Osun State University Auditorium, Osogbo
Saturday, March 6, 2016
Distinguished Ladies and Gentlemen
· By the obvious excitement on the faces of the young men and women sitting before us, one can tell that today is a day of abundant joy for these fresh engineering graduates. You definitely deserve to be happy having successfully passed through the rigours and tests of engineering education for the past five years; I say congratulations to you all.
· I must commend the Governor of State of Osun and Visitor to the University, Ogbeni Engr. Abdulrauf Aregbesola, FNSE for his interest in the promotion of engineering education and for his visionary leadership, on a general note.
· I also want to acknowledge and sincerely appreciate the Acting Vice Chancellor of Osun State University, Engr. Prof. Oguntola Jelil Alamu, MNSE for his commitment and dedication to scholarly activities and knowledge enrichment in the university which, in one way or another, positively impact our collective aspiration to greatness as a nation.
· To our fresh graduates, your induction today is a transition to another phase of your developmental progression towards achieving the feat of becoming thoroughbred engineering professionals. Nigerian Engineers have proven themselves by unearthing the best solutions to the most complex developmental challenges. Your case will not be different, considering that you have undergone rigorous training in one of the best institutions in engineering education in Nigeria. We will therefore expect you to step out boldly and fly the flag of professionalism in whatever capacity you may be required to serve.
· Permit me to mention that as part of the objectives for its establishment in 1958, the Nigerian Society of Engineers is committed to focusing on collaboration with, as well as influencing and providing value-adding advice to the various arms of Government, Commerce & Industry sector players, the Academia and the society at large.
· In the course of our usual interactions with different sectors of the Nigerian nationhood over a long period, various experiences have been garnered with regards to the challenges of our development as a nation; which is why NSE, as a professional organization, places priority on the advocacy for improving the quality of engineering education in Nigeria.
We want to believe, however, that the inductees here today have been adequately prepared to play their own part by injecting creative and innovative ideas in their practice, with a view to enriching the collective national effort towards achieving technological and economic advancement for our nation.
· I urge you all to display honesty and integrity as well as to always strive to distinguish yourself in at all times as a truly professional Engineers.
Again, Congratulations and God bless you.
Engr. Otis Anyaeji, FNSE, FAEng