The Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers, (A Divison of Nigerian Society of Engineers)
Communiqué at the End of Annual National Conference held in Lagos, tagged EKO 2008 at Lagos Airport Hotel, Ikeja.
The Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers (A Division of the Nigerian Society of Engineers) held her 6th National Civil Engineering Conference and Annual General Meeting from 6th to 8th November 2008 at the Lagos Theme: COSTAL FLOODING PROBLEMS IN NIGERIAN: SUSTAINABLE ENGINEERING SOLUTIONS .
The occasion attracted notable Engineers and people from all works. The Senate President, Senator David Mark GCON was the Special Guest of Honour of the opening ceremony which was chaired by Engr, K. A. Ali, FNSE President NSE. The Lagos State Governor, Babatunde Raji Fashola (SAN) was the Chief Host while Senator Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu gave the Keynote Address. Other Dignitaries at the occasion included the Governors from Plateau State and Ekiti State. They were all represented by high government functionaries. Various papers on sub themes relating to tile theme were presented.
At the end of the conference the following resolutions were reached:-
- Team work should be encouraged among the various allied professionals (Civil Engineers, Oceanographers, and Meteorologist etc) in coastal engineering related works.
- There is the need for more research using state of the art equipment in coastal studies. ,
- There is need for regular collection and collation of data and monitoring of all activities in the coastal region of Nigeria.
- The coastal area of Nigeria which is about 91 0,OOOm2) is about 853km long. The problems of coastal erosion in this area are both man-made and natural. .
- Benefits to be derived from coastal region when protected against flooding and erosion are enormous and can generate revenue which can add up to about 30% of Nigerians Annual budget: as in the case of Florida that contributes over 70%, of Florida Annual Budget.
- We commend the Lagos State Government and the Federal Government For efforts at protecting the Victoria Island Bar , Beach and call on the other State Government particularly the Stales in tile Coastal Areas of Nigeria to emulate same.
- We commend the effort of NDDC in her efforts to address the issues of Flooding and Erosion in the Niger Delta Region.
- Above all, Registered Civil Engineers should be involved as as a matter of Government policy in the studies, analysis, design and execution of all civil engineering works in Nigeria .
- We’re- iterate that it is still compulsory that all Civil Engineers attend the AGM of NICE as a mandatory Annual Continuing Professional Development.
- EIection was held and the following persons were elected to various positions to run the affairs of NICE for the year 2009.
Engr Friday Chukwu
Chairman Publicity Committee.