The Annual General Meetings of the NSE Ikeja branch has come and gone with new faces elected to join Engr Funmi Akingbagbohun in piloting the affairs of the Branch for another year.All eyes on its chairman, Engr Funmi Akingbagbohun as the Branch set agenda for the next twelve months.
The previews twelve months have been filled with a lot of activities. As the Branch had continued to make forward leaps.
Acknowledging the strides made by past leaders while presenting her stewardship, the Chairman of the Branch Engr Funmi Akingbagbohun praised the founders from Engr Olu Awoyinfa to late Engr Dr Adeola Ralph Alabi , late Engr Chike Morah, of blessed memory; and Engr. Anthony Oludaiye… all late as well as others who have made the Branch thick and what it is today.
Others who had contributed immensely to the growth of the Branch as leaders are: Engr Francis Oguanamam, Engr Ayo Fanimokun, Engr Kunle Adebajo, Engr Abiodun Awe , Engr Dr Tunde Olatunji, Engr Margaret Oguntala, Engr Bola Bido, Engr Adeolu Ogundare, up to the IP Chairman, Engr Akin Akintola, all past chairmen of the Branch.
In addition to the Past chairmen there are those who are strong contributors to the Branch development but didnt hold Chairmanship position. Some of them are: Engr. Idiat Amusu, Engr Kayode Adekoya, Engr Ganiu Owolabi, Engr Amos Omopeloye, Engr Joe Makoju, Engr Nath Nkem, Engr.Prof Toyin Ashiru, Engr Aramide Adeyoye and many others
“Our Branch was, by the foresight of our founding fathers, called ‘The Branch to beat’ because the foundation they built was to ensure that this branch becomes one of the best in the country. Successive leaders have since built on this foundation over the years and we have indeed played their part towards it becoming the Branch to beat. But ours is to keep improving and doing better regardless of our past achievements.” Akingbagbohun said.
Continuing: “It is on this premise that you entrusted me with mandate to lead this Branch over a year ago. With your support, and that of my team who have worked hard and with dedication, I am here before you to first and foremost say thank you; and to render account of our stewardship in the last one year.”
Below are some of the activities by the Branch as compiled by MyEnginees
Interaction with government to shape policy:
The Branch’s policy focus is to ensure professionals are well regarded by the policy makers while also working to influence public policy. Some of the activities in this direction are:
- Engineers in Politics forum was organized with other Branches in Lagos. This drew participants from engineers in Lagos who are in active politics and those intending to. The forum was intended to provide support for them while also listening to their political agenda. Some of them won positions they vied for, while some tried. Dr Obafemi Hamzat, who presented infrastructure policy plan for the Lagos State and is now deputy Governor of Lagos state, Engr Gbolahan Yushau, (re-elected Lagos House of Assembly) Engr Setonji David, (re-elected Lagos House of Assembly) Engr. Ganiyu Johnson (elected Federal house of representative).
- Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, visited Ikeja Branch during the period and was hosted by the Chairman, and some of the executive committee members. The former governor of Osun State and now federal Minister of Interior commended the Branch’s many innovative programmes and promised to support the Branch’s Engineering Resource Centre which would comprise of machine floor, design rooms, training rooms and library (both physical and electronic).The location for the building has been marked out for development.
- Engr Noimot Salako-Oyedele, Deputy Governor of Ogun state also identified with the branch and attended the Idiat Aderemi Amusu project skill competition for secondary schools as a special guest of honour.
- The Branch participated in the review of the infrastructural and environmental policies of the Lagos state house of assembly and submitted a position paper to the house of assembly led by Engr. Robbie Oviwry, a Former National Chairman of Nigerian Institution of Civil Engineers, NICE.
Young Engineers Development
The Annual Project Skill competition of the Branch is officially renamed the Idiat Aderemi Amusu project Skill for schools. It hosted various schools in Lagos state district in attendance along with the representative of the governor and the ministry of education. Visits to schools and career talk were also held in various schools to sensitize the students in preparation for an engineering career.This is in addition to Kayode Adeyoya Scholarship for students.
Ikeja Won the Best Branch Competition
Following the hard-work of the leadership of the branch starting with Engr Akin Akintola, the Branch was awarded the Best Branch among the Branches in the country in December 2018 at the National AGM.
Workshops and Seminars
- NSE Professional Seminar and workshops were organised.
- Partnership with various training organizations were embarked upon with institute of safety professional, citadel, Dynamic Initiatives, Techgrade and lots of others.
- Workshop was also organised for spouses on vehicle management. There are also other skilled acquisition programmes organised.
Ralph Alabi Engineering Centre, RAEC.
The centre has received various levels of growth and development in the last one year. Some of them are:
- Refurbishment of the secretariat office
- The interlocking of the premises
- Construction of kerbs for the green area.
- Refurbishment of the sign post of the branch
- Procurement of 20kva generator for the branch.
- Construction of the drive-in of the branch
- Construction of the gatehouse (still on going).
The Branch’s membership growth rises appreciably just as its meetings also begin to attract more industrial leaders who shared their knowledge. Some of them are: Engr Gbolahan Toriola , Engr.Taiwo Elegba ,Engr.OES Ajani ,GM of LASTMA Mr Wale Musa among others.
Corporate Social Responsibilities
The Branch;s Social responsibility includes, but not limited to visiting and donating humanitarian materials at Ifako General hospital pediatric ward, BOLA-MOFO motherless babies home. It also organised and carried out sensitizing program on the use of zebra crossing.
Relationship with other Branches and Divisions
The Chairman maintained the existing tradition of robust relationship with other Branches both within and outside Lagos. The Branch was duly represented at the NSE Oluyole Public Lecture organized in honour of the Past president of NSE, Engr Ifedayo Akintunde,
To encourage members participate in Division activities, the Branch provided avenue for the Divisions to interact at the end of normal Branch session. It also honoured various programmes organised by Divisions and chapters. Such as APWEN, environment Division, Safety Division, Facility Division, NIEEE, NICE and NiMechE all Lagos chapter.
In addition it also supported the inauguration of the president of CIPM who is one of Ikeja Branch members; the annual lecture in honour of Engr Dr. T. M. Olatunji, ( Former Chairman of the Branch) orgaisned by NICE Lagos chapter and Engr. S. O. Fadahunsi Memorial Lecture organised by the Nigerian institution of environmental engineers. The Branch is also duly represented at APWEN National event tagged “invent it, build it” organized across the country geopolitical zones and also Mayen Adetiba Technical Boothcamp for Girls in Lagos.
The Branch undertook technical visits to Malaysia and Singapore in November, 2018.Through the goodwill it enjoyed, the Branch was invited by the Institution of Engineers, Rwanda to participate in their investment opportunities. It receives certificate of recognition and also a promise for collaboration with the Branch, The details of which will be announced soon.
First ikeja Inno-Creativ fair
The Branch successfully organized the first Inno-Creativ Fair which brought together many talented engineers and to showcase innovations. The goal is to build on this and also explore greater opportunities in future for our young and innovative engineers. Currently, the Branch is working to assist the finalists to commercialize their prototype.
Online Payment of Due
The Branch redesigned its website to enable members pay annual dues online from their convenience. The website new is www.nseikejabranch.org.ng Just as it redesigned the site and upgrade it to serve members better.
Support to Headquarters.
The Branch supported the headquarters with a project and screen for training and workshops and we have also provided quality executive office chairs to be used at the headquarters in Abuja.
Aside the above are the regulars which the Branch undertake and which it has followed through as part of continuity agenda of the Branch.
As the leadership under Engr Akingbagbohun enters the final phase of its administration, it promises to get interesting as the chairman reiterated her desire to to serve with the best of her ability and also be a good ambassador of this Branch.
The focus in next administration is on welfare of members. Some of the programmes marked out are:
- M.Arewa mentoring scheme.
- Construction of the engineering resource centre.
- Renovation of the hall
- Painting and design of the fence
- Completion of the gatehouse.
- Welfare of members.
In the bid to maintain and sustain our viable engineering culture, an advisory board has since been constituted under her leadership in line with section 5 of the bye law of the Branch.
In the remaining term, the watchword, according to the chairman, will therefore carry this slogan; “For us all at Ikeja Branch: it is ascending to greater height through collective efforts.”
Compiled by Isqil Najim