All is set for the grand finale of the third Edition of the Professor Ayodele Awojobi Design Competition holding at the University of Lagos, Akoka.
The event, organised by the University of Lagos Engineering Society (ULES) will hold on 27th July, 2019 at the J. F. Ade Ajayi Hall (Main Auditorium) of the University of Lagos at 8.00am.
According to Adedayo Aruwajoye, the Chairman of the organising committee, “the competition, which was instituted in Honour of the renown inventor, social critic, and erudite scholar, Prof Ayodele Oluwatuminu Awojobi, is aimed at inspiring ingenuity in the minds of youths, and propelling them to solve various socio-economic challenges the country is facing, using the application of science and technology.”
“Dozens of applications were received from up to 45 tertiary institutions across the country, and after stages of preliminary screening, the most innovative and viable designs will be presented at the grand finale”, he said.
PAADC is poised to become a treasure trove of talents where innovators are unearthed. It is sponsored by the Lagos State Government, Verraki Business Solutions, Kawai Technologies, Verod Foundation, Primero Transport Services Limited, Nigerian Bottling Company and a host of others. Representatives from tertiary institutions across the country have been invited to participate at this year’s edition.
The general public is hereby invited to witness this ground-breaking event. Admission is free.
For more information, contact Adedayo : +234 813 442 3215
THROW BACK TO PAADC 2.0 FINALE,
1.TEAM PREST designed a zero-energy cooling system for longer tomato storage and processing. PREST is a start-up dedicated to doing two things. The first is production of zero energy cooling systems to store freshly plucked tomatoes and extend shelf life from 5days to 30 days. The second is the processing of these tomatoes into jam (ground tomatoes and pepper mix) stored in jars, which will keep them fresh for as long as two years and always ready to use. According to GEMS4, 2.3 million metric tons of tomatoes is demanded annually. 1.8 million metric tons is produced, yet 45% of this annual production is wasted due to poor storage and processing systems. This is because of lack of reliable and affordable energy sources and processing or cold storage systems are very expensive. PREST gives smallholder farmers access to these basic facilities at an affordable rate. It helps to reduce wastage and promotes better storage of tomatoes.
2. TEAM ALPHA JET: Considering the severe traffic congestion which hinder the effectiveness of van-based ambulances in Lagos State, Team ALPHA JET designed a specialized emergency medical drone, to enhance the efficiency and functionality of medical services. The first few minutes after an accident are known to be critical, and it is vital to provide medical attention to prevent further complications. Thus, accelerating the response rate is one of the core goals of their project. They designed the drone in such a way that it could be used :
1. When there is no need for ambulance/medical personnel to be at the scene (non- urgent cases)
2. When an accident is life-threatening or fatal, the drone will be sent out to reach the scene earlier (to provide needed medication) before an ambulance can arrive.
3. Team AL-KHWARZIMI designed a security button to alert the police and authorities in real time, in cases of emergency. The focus of Team AL-KHWARZIMI’s design is to solve the problem of insecurity in Nigeria and mitigate the frequency of armed robbery by reducing the time taken to alert the appropriate security officials in cases of emergency. This design is said to be a better alternative to the usual “dial and call of emergency number to alert the security officials” in cases of armed robbery or very similar emergencies. Some key benefits of the design include:
-Reduction of the time taken to alert appropriate security officials in cases of emergency situations;
– Easy accessibility and inconspicuousness, allowing a victim under attack to use it without being discovered by the attacker;
-It is affordable and highly flexible as it is made for residential buildings, companies, industries, institutions, etc.