The Nigerian Society of Engineers, Auchi Branch has elected and sworn-in Obomeghie Mariam Abdul as its first female Chairperson at its last Annual General meeting held at the Auchi Polytechnic Alumni Association (APAA) building, Auchi.
She is succeeding the outgoing Engr Aluyah Dauda Okudugha, a Civil Engineer . The list of the Newly elected executive members are:
- Engr. Mrs Obomeghie M. A.- Chairperson
- Engr. Alhassan Ahmed I. -Vice chairman
- Engr. C. Kc. Anajemba – Secretary
- Engr. Okafor Michael – Asst. Secretary
- Engr. A. S. Nihad – Technical Secretary
- Engr. Atanda E.O. – Asst. Tech. Secretary
- Engr. Abdulrahman O.- Treasurer
- Engr. Omenaimen Ikhide – PR)
- Engr. Mrs Sekiteri Patience A. – Financial secretary
Auchi Branch of Nigeria Society of Engineers (NSE), joins other few Branches across the country to have produced female leaders. Among whom are NSE Ilesha (Engr Mojirade Oloruntoba), NSE Ikeja Branch (Engr Margaret Oguntala), NSE Giri (Engr Aishatu Umar) etc; thus adding to the rank of increasing women participation in engineering leadership at Local level. Not to forget the first (and current) Woman President of the Nigerian Academy of Engineering, Engr Johanna Olu Maduka who led the the women generation in Engineering participation in Nigeria at National Level.
During the Inauguration, the outgoing Chairman, Engr. Dauda A. Okodugha advised the new executive to adopt consultation and respect for constituted authority as their guiding principle.
In her acceptance speech, the new Chairperson, Engr. (Mrs.) Obomeghie, expressed gratitude to the Rector and Management of Auchi Polytechnic for their support of the branch since it inception. She promised to consolidate and build upon the legacies and lofty achievements made by the out-going Chairman. She also used the opportunity to express appreciation to the branch’s Grand Patron, Engr. Abubakar Momoh for his support as a father. She acknowledged the contributions of all the Fellows, especially Fellow Engr. Oyati and Fellow Engr. Ohimai.
Engr Aluyah Dauda Okudugha is a graduate of Civil Engineering (structure). He hold Masters in Water Resources and Environmental Engineering from University of Benin.
Engr Okudugha is the pioneer Chairman of NSE Auchi Branch. He had previously served as the Chairman of NSE Ekpoma Branch prior to the formation of NSE Auchi Branch which was officially inaugurated in December 2014 to Carter for the growing population of engineers in Auchi and environs.
During his tenure, he also served as the Chairman of the NSE Chairmen Forum. He had served the in many capacities at local and national level.
Under Engr Aluyah’s tenure, in branch’s short history, the following are some of the Branch’s activities:
- Hosted two sitting presidents of NSE ( Engr Olorunfemi Isaac and Engr Otis Anyaeji) and current deputy President, Engr Kunle Mokuolu)
- Secured a plot of land for for Secretariat building,
- Inaugurated the Engineering Regulations and Monitoring, ERM, which has since been very functional;
- Built and maintain good relationship with traditional rulers including the six local govt authorities;
- Engineering Mentoring programs for students;
- Improved workshops and seminars for our engineers especially the young Engineers;
- Courtesy Visits to the The executive Governor of Edo State, Chairmen of the six local govt in Edo North, The rector of Auchi polytechnics, The Vice chancellor of Edo university, The Rector, National construction Institute, Uromi, The commandant, the Nigeria Army school of electrical and mechanical Engineering,Auchi, The Area commander, the Nigeria police force,Edo north area with some positive outcomes.
- Industrial visits to: Setraco Nigeria limited,Auchi, Hart land construction company, Semok manufacturing company, Owan, Ceven industry limited, Aviele, Bees mining industry limited, Ikpeshi amd hosts of others.
The Branch also made efforts at assisting graduate engineers on NYSC postings to engineering firms.
Engr. (Mrs.) Obomeghie Mariam Abdul Wajid had National Diploma (Electrical/Electronic Engineering) at the Federal Polytechnic, Idah, Kogi State in 1991. She proceeded to Institute of Management Technology, Enugu, where she obtained her Higher Diploma (Electrical/Electronic Engineering) in 1996. She then went to the Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) to obtained her Post Graduate Diploma (Electrical/Electronic Engineering) in 2010 and proceeded to Ambrose Ali University, Ekpoma for her M.Eng in Electrical/Electronic Engineering which she obtained in 2015.
She joined the services of Auchi Polytechnics, Auchi, as a Technologist in 2000 and has remained there till date. She has several journal publications to her credit. Among these are ” Telecommunication: An Instrument for Wealth Creation”, “Application of Information and Communication Technology in Nigeria Educational Institutions”, “Environment and Disaster Management”, “SMS Remote Controller for Home Appliances”.
We at MyEngineers congratulate her and the Branch for the successful transition which the NSE is renown for while also congratulating Engr Okudugha for his many accomplishments as the chairman.